Site Logo
Looking for girlfriend > Looking for a friend > Girl gets killed by metal straw

Girl gets killed by metal straw

A British woman died when she fell onto her reusable straw, a coroner said in an inquest this week that highlighted the possible dangers of metal straws, The New York Times reported. Elena Struthers-Gardner, 60, who had a disability, was carrying a mason-jar style drinking glass with a screw-top in her home in Broadstone, England, in November when she collapsed. Struthers-Gardner also had scoliosis and substance abuse issues, according to her wife. Plastic straw bans have increased in popularity, especially since a video of a sea turtle having a plastic straw removed from its nose went incredibly viral. Last year, the ban gained momentum when Starbucks announced its plan to eliminate its green plastic straws from all its stores in

SEE VIDEO BY TOPIC: Sea Turtle with Straw up its Nostril - "NO" TO PLASTIC STRAWS

Content:
SEE VIDEO BY TOPIC: Teen girl gets stabbed during fight

Death by Metal Straw Is a New Thing to Be Paranoid About

A British woman died when she fell onto her reusable straw, a coroner said in an inquest this week that highlighted the possible dangers of metal straws, The New York Times reported. Elena Struthers-Gardner, 60, who had a disability, was carrying a mason-jar style drinking glass with a screw-top in her home in Broadstone, England, in November when she collapsed. Struthers-Gardner also had scoliosis and substance abuse issues, according to her wife.

Plastic straw bans have increased in popularity, especially since a video of a sea turtle having a plastic straw removed from its nose went incredibly viral. Last year, the ban gained momentum when Starbucks announced its plan to eliminate its green plastic straws from all its stores in In , Seattle became the first major city in the U.

Last September, California Gov. Jerry Brown D signed the first state law barring dine-in restaurants from providing plastic straws unless customers request them. Yet, disability activists have pushed back against the plastic straw bans, arguing that many people with disabilities need the plastic straws to drink and that eliminating them compromises their civil rights. Plus they don't melt in hot drinks unlike compostable ones.

Straws may be a luxury for some people, but for me, they are a necessity. Powell also mentions that she cares deeply about the environment and uses reusable straws at home, but needs the plastic variety when she visits restaurants or public establishments. Alice Wong, a disability activist, also wrote about the dilemma for Eater , noting that people with disabilities already face a number of obstacles while attempting to dine out, including inaccessibility and ableism, or discrimination against those who are disabled.

US Edition U. Coronavirus News U. HuffPost Personal Video Horoscopes. Newsletters Coupons. Terms Privacy Policy.

Part of HuffPost Environment. All rights reserved. Huffington Post. Tap here to turn on desktop notifications to get the news sent straight to you. Natalia Lavrenkova via Getty Images Eco-friendly reusable straws come in varieties such as paper, metal and bamboo. Calling all HuffPost superfans! Sign up for membership to become a founding member and help shape HuffPost's next chapter.

Join HuffPost. Elyse Wanshel. Suggest a correction. Today is National Voter Registration Day!

Woman Dies After Accidentally Impaling Herself With Metal Straw

Fox News Flash top headlines for July 9 are here. Check out what's clicking on Foxnews. Metal straws may be eco-friendly , but a coroner has warned of the potential dangers they pose after a woman in England died last year in a freak accident. Elena Struthers-Gardner, 60, sustained a traumatic brain injury after falling while carrying a mason jar-styled drinking glass that had a screw-top lid at her home in Dorset on Nov. Struthers-Gardner's death was ruled an accident, with a coroner's report noting that "clearly great care" should be taken when using metal straws.

In the past year-plus, an ever-increasing number of cities, corporations, and entire countries have announced bans on plastic straws and other single-use plastic products. Starbucks was one of the first major chains to promise to eliminate plastic straws from all 28, of its locations, setting an ambitious goal to be fully straw-free by McDonald's soon made a similar pledge —at least for its locations in the United Kingdom and Ireland—and some airlines, hotel chains, cruise lines, and even Disney's theme parks have also switched to more sustainable options.

Maybe plastic straws are not so bad after all. At least when compared to the potential for death when using a metal straw. A year-old British woman named Elena Struthers-Gardner died after falling onto the metal straw she was drinking from and it impaled her eye. According to USA Today , Struthers-Gardner, also known as Lena, was carrying a mason jar—style glass that was attached to a screw-top lid and metal straw when she collapsed at her home last November. The inch stainless steel straw entered her left eye socket, subsequently piercing her brain.

Fatal Accident With Metal Straw Highlights a Risk

Please refresh the page and retry. Metal straws should be used with caution, a coroner has said, after a retired jockey died when she fell onto one which impaled her eye and caused a traumatic brain injury. Elena Struthers-Gardner, 60, was carrying a mason-jar style drinking glass with a screw-top lid in her kitchen in Poole, Dorset, when she collapsed. The eco-friendly straws have increased in popularity as a replacement for single-use plastic straws as part of the fight against plastic waste. Mrs Struthers-Gardner had been involved in the professional equestrian world until injury curtailed her career. She had been involved in eventing, showjumping, dressage and even training National Hunt horses in Newbury, Berks. The straw damaged Mrs Struthers-Gardner's brain stem, which controls breathing, with the tip of the implement coming to a rest against the back of her skull.

Metal drinking straw warning after death of woman impaled through eye

A British woman was impaled by a metal straw after falling at her home, a coroner said in an inquest this week that highlighted the potential dangers of metal straws. Such straws have surged in popularity as cities, states and even countries have banned single-use plastic straws. It called her death an accident. The report, released in Bournemouth, about two hours southwest of London, said that she fell at her home on Nov.

A woman in England died after falling onto a reusable metal straw, which pierced her head, and the tragic accident has renewed debate over bans on plastic straws , according to news reports.

A woman was killed when she fell onto a metal drinking straw that pierced her eye socket and entered her brain, an inquest heard. Elena Struthers-Gardner, 60, was carrying a mason-jar style drinking glass with a screw-top lid when she collapsed at her home in Poole, Dorset , in November last year. The 10 inch metal straw — held in place by the lid — entered her left eye and caused a fatal brain injury.

Woman Killed in Freak Accident Involving Metal Straw

By Zachary Kussin. July 9, pm Updated July 9, pm. According to the Daily Echo , the year-old woman collapsed in her kitchen while holding a glass — whose inch steel straw drove through her left eye socket and pierced her brain. Specifically, Struthers-Gardner was carrying a jar-style glass with a screw-top lid that held the straw in place.

SEE VIDEO BY TOPIC: What's Wrong With Reusable Straws? [CC]

.

Daily coronavirus briefing

.

Jul 11, - The disturbing death of a woman in Britain renewed a debate that has A British woman was impaled by a metal straw after falling at her home, “It seems the main problem here is if the lid hadn't been in place, the straw.

.

Metal drinking straw fatally impales woman through her eye after fall

.

.

.

.

.

.

Comments: 0
  1. No comments yet.

Thanks! Your comment will appear after verification.
Add a comment

© 2020 Online - Advisor on specific issues.